I am passionate about seeing the lives of vulnerable children and marginalized people groups transformed, struggling families strengthened, and whole communities raised out of poverty and given hope in the name of Jesus Christ.
For almost 25 years I have worked with Christian organizations that care for orphans and vulnerable children. This included 12 years in Beirut, Lebanon, where I launched and led a school and directed a residential children’s home for at-risk children. I pioneered the start and growth of work with vulnerable children in Sudan and South Sudan and have overseen the development of other programs in Africa, Latin America, and Asia – most recently in Myanmar. I also set up and directed a non-profit organization in the United Kingdom for several years. For the past seven years I have been based in the USA, where I have provided leadership to organizations working with vulnerable children, their families and communities.
My wife, Mel, and I have two children, Katie and Nathan, both of whom are in, or about to head for college. In my spare time I enjoy reading and writing, traveling, walking, and watching soccer – particularly my son, and Brighton and Hove Albion in the English Premier League!
- Our tears will be driedAs followers of Christ, we live in a place of tension. We experience it every day. On one hand, we live in a world where there is profound brokenness – a world where sickness, death, hunger, anger, greed, and betrayal confront us every day. There are times when we have each encountered a growing senseContinue reading “Our tears will be dried”
- The danger of jumping to wrong conclusionsHow quick so many of us can be to judge others and assume the worst of them…
- Lessons learned on the lake(Based on Mark 6:45-52) “Just whose idea was this anyway?” John sat back for a moment, raising the oars out of the water as another large wave crashed against the boat. “Just keep rowing,” snapped Peter. “Every time you stop for a breather, the wind pushes us back towards where we came from!” “I stillContinue reading “Lessons learned on the lake”
- Treasure in Jars of ClayIs there a time when you have felt completely inadequate for a task you were called to do? I have. As I look back at times in my life when I have taken on a new role or new responsibilities, a sense of inadequacy has often overwhelmed me. After all, I want to do aContinue reading “Treasure in Jars of Clay”
- Where is God when life is painful?We live in an uncertain, volatile, and fragile world. Pain and suffering is rampant. These times may cause us to cry out, “Where are you, God?”